You deserve a little “me” time. Light a candle, put on some soothing tunes and take your skin to the next level with a facial mask that delivers a concentrated burst of good-for-your-skin ingredients.
The benefits of using facial masks
It depends on the formula—but here’s what you can expect.
- Clay: Absorbs excess oil, soothes irritation and blemishes and leaves skin feeling soft and revitalized.
- Cream or gel: Hydrates and calms.
- Exfoliating: Brightens and softens.
How often you should mask
The best thing you can do is read the directions on your mask, because recommendations will vary. Some masks can be used two or three times a week—especially calming, hydrating masks. Other formulas that exfoliate or have strong active ingredients should be used no more than once a week. You can also mix and match masks, using a calming mask twice a week and an exfoliating mask once a week, for example.
How to apply your mask
Mask application is pretty simple.
- Wash your hands, then your face.
- Smooth a thin layer of mask all over your face and neck. You may even want to apply it to your décolletage.
- Relax for 10 to 20 minutes. (Read the directions on your product.)
- Wash off the mask using lukewarm water.
Quick mask application tips
There are a few things you can do to get the most out of your mask.
- Use a soft brush to apply it for the ultimate at-home spa experience.
- Apply a thin layer only. A thick layer will just be a waste of product.
- Only leave it on as long as the label recommends or you could end up with irritation.
- Remove the mask with a soft face cloth soaked in lukewarm water. It’s easier than using your fingers and you’ll get a tiny bit of manual exfoliation at the same time.
- Moisturize after!